on 9/5/02 23:06, (PowerBooks) at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've got a PB 170 running System 7.5.3.  I picked it up for $10 because I
> thought it would make a good system for use for typing up papers and the
> like.  My problems is that I have no idea what kind of word processor I
> would get for it.  I assume maybe some old version of MS Word, or
> Appleworks.  Does anyone have any recommendations, or perhaps a copy
> they'd be willing to sell?

Remy mentioned Word 5.1a the other day and I have to agree. I'm still using
it on a Lombard with 512MB of memory and OS 9.1. I've built a few vital
personal dictionaries over the years and just keep on using Word 5 because
it gets the job done, never crashes, takes up little disk space or RAM (I
give it 10MB, but its default is about 1.5MB), is compatible with newer
versions of Word on the Mac and on PC; you can get a Word 97-98 and Word
2000 converter from the Microsoft web site (for free! very unlike MS) that
lets you open just about any Word file others send you (which in my case is
*every* file people send me for work). And that last point is probably the
key - if you have to exchange a fair number of files with other Mac and PC
users, it makes things a little bit smoother.
If not, there's the free Nisus, Mariner Write Lite, Appleworks. I've tried
all three and they're very good too.

Chris H

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.