I ordered and installed in my 1400 one of the 20 gig clearance IBM drives
from Other World Computing.  Wow, huge difference- super quiet, seems
faster (but I've not compared rpm's yet).  And it was already formatted for
Mac.

I only had a couple problems:

-installers for some older software based on VISE 4.1 ( I think) won't
handle the size of the drive right- when I installed CodeWarrior 11, I had
to install it in little pieces as the installer kept thinking I didn't have
enough space free.  I put most of my software on by just copying the image
of the hard drive I'd archived before the switch, across my LAN by
Appletalk.  Slow but no user intervention required :)

-the new harddrive worked like it should on warm reboots, a few times- I
was happy! Then it quit working on warm boots, giving me a flashing system
disk until I boot by hitting the button on the back, then the powerup key
on the keyboard.  Which is the way the original Apple drive acted.

My guess is that something gets screwy in the PRAM or power manager on this
1400 and it's not dropping signal to the drive on warm reboots like it
should; but many attempts to reset power manager by holding down the button
on the back, or zapping PRAM (both of which are mentioned as ways to reset
powermanager/pram on this powerbook) seem to do anything useful for the
warm boot problem.

I looked all over the drive again for invisible "sleep" or similar files or
prefs, as I thought I'd read about that as a cure on usenet, but nothing
leaps out at me....  thoughts welcome!

Thanks,

Brian

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.