on 27/5/02 12:16 am, David R. at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Well in anticipation (and a bit of positive thinking) that Apple will fix my
> newly acquired 5300cs right up, I would like to think ahead a bit.  The main
> reason I wanted (and can hopefully live with) this not-too-fast p-book is
> because I will primarily use it for word processing while on trips.  I've
> got the G3 s900 Supermac for the heavy loads.  For reference, it has USB,
> Firewire, Ethernet, Serial, and of course scsi.  Nearly maxed out on ram and
> various peripherals.
>
> The 5300 came with a Focus 16 bit Vid Card and a TDK v34 modem.
>
> So I'm thinking, what is going to be the best way for these two machines to
> communicate with one another.  Gonna have to transfer files somehow.
>
> Right now, the p-book only has an 800 mb hard drive and I think 24 ram.
> Will eventually need to fix the ram issue and probably get at least a 3 gig
> drive.  I understand Speed Doubler and Ram Doubler will be my allies.  I'll
> accept that eventuality.
>
> But I'd like to hear what some of you have done to interface?  What works
> best and what doesn't?  The floppy just won't cut it I fear.  One of those
> VST Zip drives seems somewhat appealing.  What other upgrade options are
> there that have worked also?  Is there a way to connect straight into my
> main Mac?  Would I be well-off picking up an ethernet hub?  Are there other
> options?  Are there USB cards for using other peripherals?
>
> For sure I won't be going any higher then 8.6 for the OS.  Not with that ram
> limitation anyhow.  So I'd like to hear your ideas because I know many of
> you have gone through the steps.  You've also already helped out immensely.
>
> So, while my new/used p-book is going through the REA at Apple, I can be
> looking around for whatever I may need.  Thanks!
>
> Dave

Hi Dave

Me again if you dont intend to transfer really large files and you dont mind
setting it up and haveing your tea whilst it works away all you need is a
serial cable and use appletalk. if you want a quicker version get a pcmcia
ethernet card and again use appletalk.

As for your usb sorry not happening there the 5300 is not cardbus equipt and
can't be made cardbus equipt??(anyone else know different).

i use the serial way on my 1400 and did so on my 5300 and use ethernet on my
3400 so anyone will work ok there also if you are going to get a bigger hdd
remember the scsi voodoo about partions and size in scsi mode (i think it is
4GB) anyone.

good luck

Victoria.