>From: "Symbol Representative" ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Using a CF card to boot a PB 5300cs?
>
>I had the same problem intermittently in trying to
>do this, using 8.1 on a 5300c.  The first few times
>it went great, then I got the bus error you
>described.  What made it even worse was that I
>couldn't figure out how to get the cf card out of
>the PC Card slot without booting from a floppy,
>since the PC Card was selected as the startup disk.
>Unfortunately, I have no insight as to why this
>problem occurs.  If you have enough hard drive
>space, you might making an emergency boot/
>maintenance partition, which might be more reliable
>(though of course subject to hard drive failure).
>
>>FWIW, ejecting the CF card during the restart
>>allows successfull booting from the main HD.
>
>So how do you do this?  I thought the only way to >eject it was by dragging it to the
>trash.

To get the CF card out of the slot, just press the small button on the side of the
5300 next to the card slot during a restart.  You may need to keep pressing it until
it activates; it will usually pop out before the screen display comes on.

------------------------------------

>From: "Joseph C. Sis, JR." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Using a CF card to boot a PB 5300cs?
>Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 07:43:49 -0700
>
>I was able to create a boot disk on a 16mb CF card, >though I did "CHEAT".  I used
>the system off of a >MacOS 8.1 Disk Tools, which is a great way to create
>a small and fast starting emergency boot disk.

I have the Disk Tools creator, but I thought I'd try the full system install first.
Thanks for the reminder.

>I think I was able to create a bootable CF using a >minimal 8.5 install, can't
>remember for certain.
>
>G'luck.
>
>joseph

Regards,