At 5:07 PM -0700 5/30/02, George Mogiljansky wrote:
>Hi Clark et al,
>Ok, so we can use the pb in a car or other situation
>with an inverter plugged into the 12v DC outlet. And
>the inverter has to supply a minumum of 50 Watts per
>hour (or other time measure) in order to use the CD,
>floppy drive, what have you.
>To recharge the battery, the pb cannot be in use (I
>haven't seen the manual yet).
>Thank you to all who tried to answer.

Power (Watts) is instantaneous, i.e. it isn't measured per hour.  It
is in fact a measure of energy transferred per unit time.  One Watt
is equal to 1 Joule per second.

You should be able to run the laptop and charge the battery at the
same time.  The Power Invertors that are currently available are well
protected against overload so that if the laptop does draw too much
then the invertor will shutdown.  The Laptop will switch to battery
so you won't loose anything.  The thing to watch out for is the
invertor shutting down, the laptop switching to battery, the invertor
starting up again because the load has dropped and then the cycle
repeating.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA