--- macnifico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My PB was working right one day and the next day
> won't start up. It only lights
> the green sleep LED, but steady instead of blinking.
> I've tried the usual remedies, but maybe I'm doing
> something wrong, as the PB is
> still down.

The suggestion to try reseting the Power Manager was a
good one.  My 3400C has a bad PRAM battery, and it has
been exhibiting all kinds of odd startup behavior
lately that require me to reset the power manager
sometimes and hold elaborate ceremonies in voodoo over
it at other times to get it to start up. :-)

There are many different methods for reseting the
power manager.  I usually shut the system down, take
the rechargeable battery out of it, unplug the AC
Adapter from the back, and hold the reset button in
for at least a minute or two, then plug the AC Adapter
back in and try to start it.  I leave the rechargeable
battery out until it's booted, then insert it again
for the system to pick it up.  I have found with my
ailing PRAM battery (and have seen this in other
laptops as well) where it doesn't always want to start
when the rechargeable battery is inserted, but runs
fine when it's removed...

You can also reset the Power Manager by zapping the
PRAM, but from the sounds of your description, it
doesn't even sound like the machine is booting enough
to get you that far.

Hopefully reseting the Power Manager will work for
you.  If that works, and you don't know the last time
the PRAM battery was changed, I'd suggest replacing
it.  It's extremely easy to do... if you can remove
the keyboard, you can change it, and it isn't very
expensive... I've seen them on ebay around $10-$15.

It could be more serious, though.  If you have a
multi-meter, you can test the AC Adapter to make sure
it's still putting out the required voltage.  You
could also be having trouble with the internal Power
Supply board in the Powerbook...  that wouldn't be as
easy, or as cheap to deal with....  Good luck!

Cheers,
Sionnach