I ran into this exact problem this morning with my 5300cs, swapping
out the Apple-branded 500MB drive for a 6GB IBM TravelStar. The Apple
Authorised Repair shop didn't notice that the TravelStar had no
jumpers on either the slave or the master so nothing he did, made the
drive visible. He popped out the drive with me there (now I see how
easily I can work on the machine in future), compared it with the
original drive and took the jumper from the 500MB and moved it over
to the TravelStar.  Then, because none of his external CD drives had
worked before, we hooked up my Apple 300 that he had asked I bring
with me because it had worked with the original drive.

At this point, with a bootable floppy in the drive and the CD drive
hooked up with a bootable OS 8, we were able to at least see the new
drive long enough to initialise it into 3 equal partitions. But
trying to install an OS failed numerous times with the machine
locking up or giving bus errors or Sad Macs. Then we terminated the
CD drive (which had _not_ needed to be terminated with the original
drive) and I loaded the barest (quickest) system on the computer just
so I could verify that it will start on its own without anything
being connected to the SCSI port or inserted into the floppy drive.
Did numerous restarts and everything worked fine. Doing a Shut Down
always requires using the reset button *4* times before it will
start. The repair guy said that's a sign of the PRAM battery needing
to be replaced. (He had the powerbook to take it through the
pre-authorised REA but called Apple to cancel when he found a 1996
date stamp inside the battery bay.)

So, I would suggest you check the jumper placement on the new drive
and that you consider that there might be a difference in how the
drive is or is not terminated.

Tomorrow I'll spend time with the drive here when my brain isn't so
dead and make certain a full system install works.

FWIW