I have pulled a couple drives out of a IBM TP600 and put them in my 3400, no
issues.  Remove the IBM mounting tray and mount the drive in the 3400, no
issues at all.

Only thing to look for is some drives draw more or less power.  So a new
drive may suck down the batteries more than another drive (older are usually
worse).

My 3GB draws 500mA, I have seen a 1GB draw 700mA.  That is a lot of change.

Tom