Thanks for all the help, bearing that all in mind, I think I'll go with the
520 and get a 540(c) chip for it and a color screen.  Also has anyone used
both a 520c and a 540c?  Are the active matrix screens on the 540c really
that much better than the passive on the 520c?  I've only used passive
non-color ones like in the 1xx series and these are fine and my only
experience with active and color for that matter came on a friend's dark
side laptop.  I've never been big on using apple's take-apart instructions
anyway.  I got an exploded view from Donny Monk, bought myself a Torx 8 and
10, and just wung it from there and it always seems to work! (at least on
the 1xx series for that matter)