I could use a bit of guidance here from some compassionate pb user.  I've
installed this 4 gb ide drive in place of the 500 mb one.  Problem is, I
can't get anything to see it.  Right now I'm booted off 8.1 on an external
scsi cd/rom.  Tried 8.5 too with same results.

So the 8.5 and 8.1 cd's boot fine and I've thrown every mounting software in
my arsenal at it and nothing sees this new 'un-formatted' hard drive.
(Actually I guess it might be pre-formatted for peecee.)  Anyway, I tried
various Drive Set ups, APS Mounter, SCSI Probe, Norton, FWB Mounter, Mt.
Everything, and a few others I don't recall at the moment.  After all this,
I'm guessing the drive jumper pins aren't correct. (There's only four pins)

The drive is a 'Simple Technology' Toshiba 400 Series .  It's speed is not
certain yet. Doesn't say on drive unless it's a 9600 as inferred by some of
the #'s. If so, maybe too fast?

STT-400HD/4GB
Removable Hard Drive
Drive Config:
Cylinders - 8944, Heads-15, Sectors 63, WP-0, LZ-0

96000-00004-012      J049573

One thing that may be relevant is that I followed the same 'outside two'
jumper pin selection as was on the original Apple drive.  Do I instead want
to leave it w/o any jumper pins?  Thoughts?   Ideas?

Is there an internal CUDA reset Switch hidden somewhere on these books that
I need to push?  I've zapped pram & tried starting w/ extensions off too.
Nothing.

Is there a method for initializing new ide drives that I need to know about?
Or do I need to find someone with another pb to format it from there?
Thanks

Dave
5300cs, 24 mb ram