> Daniel Sirks wrote:
>

>>I have tried with a D-Link DFE-650TX card to get higher speed transfers
>>from the internet - higher than those with a 10BaseT internal card
>>alone.  Can anyone suggest a better way to go about this or am I doomed
>>to failure?  I am running 8.6 and I would like to stay with this OS.  I
>>have a PB3400/200/48/6gig hd.  I hope that this is enough information.
>>I hope one of you more experienced people coud suggest something.  I use
>>a cable modem.  Thanks.

You'll see absolutely no difference in connection speed, the cable
connection is your bottleneck. (I've NEVER heard of anyone getting a
100mbit connection via cable!)

Time your transfers....10 mbits/sec is around 1220kb/sec max, well
beyond what you'll get on most cable modem setups. In fact, most of the
time

(I'm on a reasonably fast machine connected via a 100 mbit pipe to the
internet, and I usually get somewhere between 400-800 kb/sec download
speeds.)

Also, don't forget your cable download speed may be limited by your
cable provider and/or other local cable users on your subnet.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona