>I have a problem that has imerged on my 5300ce/117/32/6G/8.6  AND my
>PM6500/225/128/20G/USB/8.6
>
>If I put in any PC floppy, it locks up, often even with MAC formatted disks.

Extension or corrupt prefs for something are much more likely than a virus.

First, realize that having active USB extensions on the 6500 will  be very
likely to kill the floppy drive for you.  Read or search "The 6400 Zone"
web page forum for details.  If you somehow installed USB extensions of any
sort on the 5300, might as well trash them too, they will never work with
anything.
On the desktop, I'd guess that the USB is the most likely culprit.

Otherwise, for both the desktop and the PB:

- delete the file exchange prefs (is PcExchange still on there somehow?
That might be part of it...)
- I found an extension conflict with File Exchange ages ago when I had 8.6
but don't recall what it was.  Boot with a absolutely bare minimum
extension set and with PcExchange/File Exchange (I forget when they renamed
it) and see if you can work with PC floppies.

If so, reenable a few extensions at a time until it breaks again,  then
trash the prefs of offending extensions and if that doesn't work, then
reinstall the extension.

- search google or www.macfixit.com for known issues with File Exchange
(you might have to pay them for this feature of their site now at
macfixit).  I'm sure there are documented conflicts.

-you used to be able to download virex 6.1 for free from the maker's web
site, not sure if that is still on or not.  But really a virus is my last
expectation.

Finally, are you sure your disks are OK?  I just tossed a 25 pack of
floppies, 3M I think, that just were giving my mac fits.  The TDK ones I
replaced them with are fine.  they don't do much QC on floppies anymore.