At 2:59 PM -0400 6/27/02, Sam Cates wrote:
>I own a PowerBook 5300c which has recently been through the Apple REA
>program and now looks good as new (not shocking, since it seems not to have
>been used in 4 1/2 years before I acquired it). It's running System 7.5.3
>and currently has 24MB of RAM installed.
>
>I am going to upgrade the system software to 8.1 or 8.6 in the near future;
>what I was really wondering about is this: is it worth the $100 or so it
>would take to buy a 48MB RAM expansion card, pull the 16MB card inside and
>replace it with the 48, and operate the 5300 with 56MB of RAM? How much of
>an improvement would I see from doing that, and would it justify the
>expense?

It's hard to say about the value of upgrading it.  I bought a used
5300c and upgraded the HD and memory.  Both make a big improvement in
what I could do with it.  At the time I got it, it was worth it to
me.  Today I might take a look at a better equipped more capable
machine.

BTW, you can get a 56Mb RAM expansion card and max out at 64Mb total.
When I got the memory for mine MemoryX had the best price.

http://www.memoryx.net/powerbook5300.html
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA