On 6/30/02 1:52 PM, "b e n  w e l l s  |  headwerkx"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> just as a side question from Jim's comments about old the condition of old
> Powerbook batteries these days and their hellish replacement cost, I've read
> in a few places that, quite cheaply, Powerbook batteries can have new
> battery cells wired into their specific casings for a fraction of the cost
> of a replacement battery unit.
>
> basically it is supposed to involve splitting open the case and soldering in
> the cells with whatever equivalents you can find at your local
> Tandy/RadioShack. Sounds simple enough. i remember reading one site about a
> week ago on it (when I was looking for something else), didn't bookmark it
> (stoopid!) and now can't find it.
>
> given that 500 series batteries can cost up to US$150 each (and they take
> two for decent battery life) I'd be really interested in giving it a go. if
> anyone's got any first hand experience or idea, please tell.

I did go to the site (and yes, it is the one someone else just sent) and
found it to be somewhat informative. I was hoping for something a little
more detailed for those of us who are "electronic component challenged", but
I still found it to be pretty helpful.

I've done some extensive searches on google looking for sites with
advice/instructions about rebuilding all sorts of PowerBook batteries
(especially for Duos and 500's), but I haven't had any luck. I guess I'm
going to end up just trying to crack one open and see what happens from
there. If anyone has *any* links to items like this, please post.

Thanks,

Jim