Thanks to everyone who shared their experience and advice in response
to my request for help; I appreciate it a great deal. Since I've
owned an embarrassing number of Powerbooks myself (170, 190, Duo
280c, Duo 2300, 520, a 2400 and now a Tibook), I knew a lot of the
pros and cons, but felt I could use some fresh outside perspectives.
After all, what I might like or need in a Powerbook isn't necessarily
what a 10-year-old novice would need, and there are advantages and
disadvantages to each model. All the input you gave me helped clarify
the decision.

I tried to filter all this info to my Windows sister, and ultimately
she decided to go with a 540c. The active matrix color screen,
full-size keyboard, built-in floppy, and plethora of ports swayed
her, but cost was also a big consideration. We found one with a new
PRAM battery, and since my niece will run the computer primarily off
AC, the status of the two used batteries isn't an issue. The fact
that it's 68k doesn't bother her, as I have a lot of vintage software
she can use, and she's not worried about future upgradeability. (Ha!
She sees this as a temporary foray into the Mac world. Little does
she realize that she will probably be converted.)

A big thanks again to everyone who helped.

Nancy Butts