on 7/5/02 8:31 PM, Cameron Kaiser at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> I have a Powerbook 3400/180, that is currently running with OS 9.1.
>> Everything works great except for a strange message at start up. Before it
>> boots into the OS the screen goes white and for five or six continuous lines
>> it repeats: can't OPEN: ata1/@0:8
>>
>> Can anyone help!? I would really like to get rid of this problem. Am I
>> missing a file or folder? Is part of an older OS missing that would stop
>> this madness?
>
> This sounds like a problem with Open Firmware. Have you tried zapping PRAM?
Hi There,

I took Cameron's advice and zaped the PRAM. Still same message... If I
remember correctly, doesn't the number at the end of the error message mean
something? I think 8 is a card problem, or am I totally off base! Any other
suggestions to get rid of this pesky problem?

Also, I want to upgrade my hard drive to a 40GB from a very tiny 1.3, I need
some advice on buying a compatible hard drive, I've never installed a hard
drive before. How difficult is it to install on a 3400?

John :)