I've got an early PB3400/180 (engineering prototype, actually) with 2
little dip switches on the logic board next to the processor. Service
Source shows them in the takeapart photos, but makes no reference to
their function. I've found no other reference to them elsewhere.

Anyone got a clue what they're for? Do they exist on the regular
production board?

On a perhaps related note, I can't get this bugger to recognize a
Techworks 64MB ram module, replaced by Techworks after I assumed it
faulty when acquired. A TW 32MB module is recognized fine. And another
thing!! I haven't been able to load any OS later than 8.1, error
something or other pops up. I forget the error number but it means (iirc)
"This system is too new for this Mac".

I'd really like to use the blasted thing but with 48MB ram and OS 8.1
it's scarcely an improvement over my PB1400c/183/64/20GB workhorse. I'm
not complaining, mind you, but rather I'd like to actually get to use it.

TIA,

Dan K