Pat Chapman wrote:
> Hello
>
> I just got a 5300c with 8.5 on it and I'm finding it a little confusing
> finding my way round the system as I'm not very knowledgeable about 'macs'.
>
> My first problems seems to be getting it 'online'.  Can you advise what card
> to get for this purpose.
>
> My main desktop is a pc and this pb is for playing with and perhaps taking
> with me when we go away in our camper van.  I think I can download
> photographs from a digital camera to it although I understand I can't do
> much else with them.  Can I transfer them to my pc when I get home - and
> what would I need?
>
> I don't suppose I can use it for e-mail/internet while I'm away can I?

No, it's an utterly useless computer, doesn't everyone know that Apples
are unable to do *any*thing? ;-P

That said...if you've got 8.5 on it, it's likely got a decent amount of
memory.

The best way of getting digital photos onto your Mac is likely going to
be a pcmcia adapter, about $10-$20 depending on the brand, and what kind
of memory you have for your camera.

http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/pc_adapter.asp

Thsi is the one I have, cost me $12 at a local computer shop, and it's
fast and reliable. It pops into either pcmcia slot on the side of the
Mac and appears on the desktop just like a disk.

Once on the Mac, you can actually do a fair bit with the pictures, since
the 5300 C is capable of 16-bit color. I wouldn't want to do any
hardcore color correction with it, but cropping, adjusting contrast, etc
is perfectly doable. Get  Graphic Converter <http://www.lemkesoft.com>
for that, it's a really good all around image utility.

As for e-mail and internet, all you need is a modem card (many 56K
pcmcia modems will work). Set up the correct remote access settings in
the TCP/IP control panel and you can dial in from anywhere. I have a
Megahertz XJack 56K GSM modem that works fine.

If you're someplace where you can get ethernet access, that's doable,
too, since any Mac-compatible pcmcia ethernet card can be used here, or
you can hie yourself off to <http://www.datamem.com> and get the Focus
LapisColor MV16-EN which is an enhanced color video card (enables larger
  external monitors and adds a 10-base-T ethernet port.

(per a post in today's powerbooiks list it ought to be possible to use a
3Com 3c589 card, as well)

With 8.5, if you get an 802.11 pcmcia card you can do wireless, as well.

Depending on the memory, you can run various versions of Netscape, IE,
or iCab <http://www.icab.de> a lightweight browser that's a good choice
for a Powerbook; any number of different e-mail solutions exist: Eudora,
Outlook, Netscape, Clairis E-mailer, Mailsmith, etc.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona