>It is a 1995 Apple batt so it could just be old.  Is there a way to
>>  recondition the NiMH battery?  I thought I read something somewhere along
>>  the way but for the life of me, I can't find it.
>Look in the Apple Extras folder if you've got one--Battery
>Recondition should be there.  There's also a shareware program
>called Battery Amnesia that some people claim works better, but I've
>never had good results from it.  (The author of that program also
>makes a nifty program called MyBattery, convenient if you have more
>than one--http

I would be hesitant about doing much to recondition this battery.
2hrs is great life, what you are seeing is a fast dropoff curve-
something that NiMH wil do- it pushes right to the end, then its
done.  Unlike NiCD, which doesn't last nearly as long but the dropff
curve is a much shallower slope, so you get more warning.

>://www.kezer.net/mybattery.html)

MyBattery might help you get more warning, might not.  It is a very
nice util. for displaying power and useage history etc.

I really wouldn't do much to it though.It would be painful to damage
the battery by bypassing safeguards and hurt that wonderful 2 hrs.
I've got a battery that only runs 1 hr 15 but lets me have 10 min of
"sleep soon" warning, I'd rather have the life.  After all, it's
usually just asleep, and I never use a floppy anyway so I couldn't
save it anywhere useful (removeable) anyway.  I've not lost data due
to sleep but I could just be lucky I guess.

>   If not, are ebay & similar
>>  batteries labeled "new' trustworthy being they could also be a 7 year old
>>  battery that has simply never been used?  Is there a 'best' type to watch
>>  for?
>I bought two of these a while back--they did not hold a full charge.  They

Once I get spare time (hah!  and Mr Atelier is head of this on the
priority list) I want to hack into a 1400 battery and replace the
innards.  If it works, I'll post pictures.  But don't toss cases for
dead batteries, for certain.