>Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 17:59:43 -0500
>From: Aly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Fascinating. Yes, it makes me wish I had one of these hanging about in the
>basement. If anyone comes across an available one, do please post the news.
>Sometimes these sorts of machines are left in trash heaps at big places like
>universities, but I didn't know of any the last time our U purged one of its
>departments. It used to be an all-Mac campus; now, sadly, that's changing.

If you find a Laptop which just buzzes (instead of bonging) and then
throws garbage on the screen at start up, and doesn't start up, I can
fix it.  That's a sign of corrupt EEPROM.  Of course, you can't run
teh installer that writes teh EEPROM unless you can boot up the
machine.  I bought some blank EEPROM chips and got them burned with
good code and they're in sockets, so they're fairly easy to replace.
Some 1 MB SIMMs will corrupt the EEPROM for some reason.

I mention this, because I'd hate for someone to find one and then
discard it thinking it is dead when it is easily fixable.

Oh, and there is a port on the side that looks like it is for a VGA
monitor, only hooking a monitor to it will kill the power supply.
It's just one diode, and the thing will still run off of battery
power (I think), so that's pretty easily fixable too, except that the
power supply (the internal bit) is a pain to get to.

Oh, one last thing.  Let me reemphasize that the Outbound Laptop is a
fairly different animal from the Outbound Notebooks.  The stuff I
wrote is about the Laptop.  I don't have a Notebook.

Jeff Walther