I believe the differences in battery time are indeed
related to the electronics within the screens.  The
color screens do draw more power and thus cut down
overall battery life.  As someone else said, even if
you show "black and white" on the screen, it's still a
color screen internally and is still consuming power
associated with it's internals.

In my years of working with laptops, I don't recall a
large difference in battery life between active and
passive matrix color screens (although there are
drastic differences in construction) but my gut
feeling is that the passive might be slightly
better...  But we're talking about a difference of
only minutes here...  I certainly would give up those
few extra minutes of battery for a sharper color image
of the active matrix display..  but thats just my
opinion.

Cheers,
Sionnach