--- David Deckert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > ... the PRAM battery is rechargeable ...
>
> It is? What you describe sounds more like what
>
> But that's possible--the RAM test sometimes checks,
> sometimes fails?
>
> -David

Yes, it is possible to recharge the PRAM.  Remember
that the PRAM is, in essence, a rechargeable battery.
Everytime you turn on your Powerbook to work, the
system is recharging the PRAM.  A PRAM battery doesn't
need to hold a great deal of charge, and can hold it
for a rather long time (especially since it keeps
recharging everytime you turn on the machine), but if
you put your Powerbook in a corner for months on end
without plugging it in, the PRAM will eventually
drain, and the clock settings and whatnot will be
lost.  If you catch the battery in time, it is
possible to plug the machine into AC power and let it
run for 2-3 days.  Usually, if the PRAM is
salvageable, that will get it working again. However,
unless you then continue to religiously use the
machine everyday again, the PRAM will likley quickly
discharge again and eventually get to a state where it
needs to be replaced.  If you force a charge on it,
but then let it sit for  a couple weeks again, you'll
find your efforts have been in vain as the PRAM will
be fully discharged again and you'll need to repeat
the process.  To agree with you though, a PRAM battery
generally won't reach this state till after it has
exceeeded it's lifetime, however.  And, given that,
the damage that can result by not changing it and
letting it corrode onto sensitive electronic
components and the trivial cost involved with changing
it, I personally don't bother messing with mine.  They
just get changed and I put the whole issue behind me.

And on the second front, bad ram could casue
intermittent problems as you described, but loose ram
could as well.  Given the nature of the beast my vote
would be loose ram, rather than bad or improper,
although Remy was quite correct.  As I'm sure you do,
I wish you good luck and hope for a poorly seated
chip.

Cheers,
Sionnach