In a message dated 9/3/02 9:34:53 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
Well, I'm not entirely sure this is the proper forum for this discussion.  I
don't want to disparage anyone ...

Nor do I.

My 5300ce from that deal does have it's own share of issues.  It's in
terrible cosmetic shape (case is scuffed badly, and there is a great big
serial number engraved on the left side in big white letters about 1/4" tall.
 F-UGLY!)

Ah ... but it IS the actual serial number of the unit. At least it was on my
unit.

The case bottom belongs to a 190 series book, not a 5300 series book. The
serial number is worn away and replaced w/ a sticker bearing (I presume) the
correct serial number for the 'book.  Sort of makes me think my 5300ce is a
frankenbook, put together piece-meal like from spare parts.

Mine had two serial number stickers ... an Apple one and a Avery stick-on one
... both bearing the same number, and these being the same number that was
"engraved" on the side.

Oh, and the insides of the case are in no better shape - plastic tabs broken
off everywhere.

I haven't broken the seal of my unit ... I might have to exchange it or
return it if the power and other problems don't correct themselves in the
course of time.

Right now, the machine is working OK on my floppy drive, my battery and my
charger.

Needless to say, I transplanted the guts to my pristine condition (though
unworkable, thanks to a broken display data cable) 5300cs case.  I had some
initial trouble upgrading the OS, but that's normal w/ a machine w/ NO CD-ROM
and no built-in ethernet ...

I plan on doing a "mind meld" as well, so I'm not as concerned with the
case's cosmetics issues.

I would have been concerned if the screen was flawed, but the screen cleaned
up very nicely.

So, I'm not entirely happy.  Email me off list if you want more details about
the transaction.

Indeed, caveat emptor.

I think things will work out ... I'm optimistic at this point.

I plan to extensively retest the provided battery and charger, as the basic
machine now seems to be reasonably functional.

If all is well ... and I do hope it is ... then the only issue is the crashed
floppy drive.

Peter.