Drew, re: running a 5300 without an LCD, it works fine. The PB 'sees'
there is no LCD attached and directs the video output to the external
video port (assuming you've got a monitor plugged in there that is!) So
the answer is no to mirroring, _and_ no to second monitor as well. Ain't
the MacOS and hardware great?!?

The cable is a standard part used for the PB1xx series, as well as PB5xx
and the PB1400 ext vid card. [Macintosh PowerBook Video Cable pn
590-0831-A, VID-14 to DB-15]

One thing I think needs to be pointed out, if you intend to use a
headless PB as a server, be aware that laptop drives are _not_ designed
to be run 24/7/365 the same way a properly cooled Barracuda or Atlas or
Elite or Cheetah, etc. can be run. Drives such as those were designed
from the ground-up for this type of service, but laptop drives are not. A
server drive's life is tough, and laptop drives are simply bound to fail
sooner rather than later when subjected to that sort of treatment.

All that said, I admit I have done the same thing myself, but I made very
sure that a drive failure would have little or no consequence for me.

Now a scsi drive attached to the external port is another matter and
would work just fine.  : >) Well, come to think of it, a headless,
internal-HD-less 5300 with a Focus enet/vid card, plus an external 23GB
Seagate Elite . . . hmm, a cheap and cheerful MP3 server, and very
compact (except for my choice of HD.)

Hope that helped,

Dan K