OK, Drew, you've got 117mhz CE and 100mhz C/S logic boards side-by-side .
. . What differences do you see between the two? And don't say none, that
you haven't got the CE board out because .blah, blah blah . . .   : >)
No good HW hacker is allowed any excuses!

Seriously, it ain't that hard to get down to that level of disassembly
(as you've discovered of course) and a careful examination of the two LBs
may well lead to you to the answer to the question of how to speed up a
100mhz 5300. What makes a CE go 117mhz?!?

Hey, and how about a set of closeup pics of both, since yer in there
anyway?

Hmm, and I wonder . . . is a 1400/117/133/166 603e _processor_ the same
footprint as a 5300's?

Just some (dopey) thoughts,

Dan K (dangit, now I gotta go get a 5300 to play with!)

PS: the DigiKey catalog is a _very_ dangerous thing to have!  LOL!