>  >> However, if you are looking for the best speed boost, I'd still go
>for
>>>  changing your bus speed to 36 or 38MHz - a faster bus means a faster
>>>  CPU _AND_ faster memory throughput - a big bottleneck on this
>machine.
>
>>  You might be able to get away with a 40 MHz bus and a 2.5 multiplier.
>
>Aw, but that would put my right back at 100MHz! ;-)  How about 40MHz
>and a 3x multiplier?  Probably only workable on the 117-rated CE.
>
>>>  Next project: install 512K of extra VRAM on the standard 100MHz mobo
>>>  to "create" a CE motherboard! (Yeah, I probably won't do this, but
>>>  it's nice to think about...)
>
>>  Why not ? It cant fail ! The open spot on the motherboard just BEGS
>>  for soldering !
>
>Actually, like you and your 2300, my major ambition is to swap out the
>standard 100MHz 603e for a faster version, keeping the bus multiplier
>where it is, and jacking up the bus speed to 40 or 45MHz  for a 140 to
>157.5MHz CPU...  Heck, 50Mhz would give 175!  ;-)  Now I just have to
>source some CQFP type 603e chips w/ the same footprint as mine...

I have a 180 MHz part I got from a Power Computing PowerBase  (CPU
card) that I plan on swapping in the future.  I havnt so far as the
pitch between the pins is sooo damn small....

>Of course, that's neatly ignoring that I don't have anywhere near the
>soldering skill required for that level of work...

Me too , I am afraid.

>As for the VRAM, the biggest reason why I won't try it is because I
>don't have any spare VRAM chips lying around! ;-)

I have a dead 5300 mobo. With a VRAM chip. : )

>On second thought, I do have that dead 190 motherboard - do they use
>the same VRAM type and capacity?  Could I cannibalize it for the parts
>I need?  If so, then "Hmmmm...."

Maybe.  Not sure.  Read off the chip part# and compare with the one
on the 5300.

>Peace,
>Drew

Mad Dog