How does one "Reset the power manager" ?
(sorry so dumb)

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Sent by:                    To:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (PowerBooks)
                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       cc:

                    aunch.com>                  Fax to:

                    (PowerBooks)                Subject:     Re: no-go powerbook 170
newbie-followup

                    09/19/2002 03:22 PM

                    Please respond to

                    powerbooks

My Reply follows quote. On 19/09/2002 14:04     [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>AHA!  It now appears that the person who gave it to me tried to plug in a
>20v power supply.
>Not GOOD!
>Is there a fuse in a Powerbook 170?
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>>Hi All!
>A friend gave me a Powerbook 170 that won't go.
>I charged up and recycled the battery with a conditioner and it holds a
>charge, but the Mac doesn't do ANYTHING when I press the start button.
>There is no hard drive, but I don't think it would need one just to bring
>up the screen and ask for a disk.
>
>I don't have a power supply.
>
>The unit is in remarkable appearance condition, but that doesn't help.
>Should I just sell it on eBay for parts?
------------
You can HOPE for a fuse, but, from the PB170 (and others) service guide:

Power

Screen is blank;
computer doesn't respond:

1 Press reset switch.
2 Connect power adapter and reboot computer in 3-4 minutes.
3 Try known-good, charged main battery.
4 Check all interconnect board, daughterboard, and
  motherboard connections.
5 Reset the power manager.
6 Replace keyboard.
7 Replace interconnect board.
8 Replace daughterboard.
9 Replace motherboard.

Good Luck.

Ken

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.