On 9/22/02 Dave & Deanna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Combining three different questions into one post:
>
>1) The other day, after my PB 1400C (233 G3 upgrade, 64MB, 1 GB HD, OS
>8.1) hadn't been used for a few weeks, when I first tried to boot it, it
>made a noise like a car alarm: "whoooOOOP! whooooOOOP!", then the normal
>sound of the HD powering up, and from that point everything was fine.
>What could that have been?

The only place I can say I've heard that noise is from a failing HD,
which gave eery screeches much as you describe. I really thought I was
probably going loony 'cause I couldn't for the life of me figure out from
whence it might have come _until_ it squawked again a day or two later.
That drive died the death very soon afterward and I surmised the sound is
either something the controller emits to warn the user the drive has
failed some sort of startup test, or something was failing in the drive
which made the sound as it did it's failing thing. Strange but true, but
I really want to ask, "Did you buy any of that?"   : >)

>2) Every now and then, the screen will get a strange sort of static
>through it, where entire rows of the display will start randomly
>twitching back and forth one pixel's worth. I've posted about this
>problem before and nobody seemed to know what I'm talking about, yet
>alone what it could be, but I thought maybe I'd try again. :-/ It
>sometimes goes away when I move the screen hinge back and forth a bit or
>give it a light thwap, but that doesn't always work. Other times I can
>use it for hours without the problem ever showing up.

Sure sounds  to me like a loose or failing display cable.

>3) Some software I bought that's supposed to work with any PPC, OS 8 or
>better, gives me an error message saying that it can't find
>OTUtilityLib. Well, neither can I. It's not on my Performa running 8.1
>either. I'm assuming from the name that it's part of Open Transport,
>which I *do* have installed on both, though I'm not sure why this
>software would need that since it's not an internet app. I can't find it
>on the OS 8.0 install CD or the 8.1 updater, but I might not be looking
>in the right place. Anyone?

Do a search on google for "OTUtilityLib" and you'll quickly find lots of
mentions of this problem, along with solutions. It appears one or more of
your OT bits, and/or the "Shared Library Manager PPC" extension is
missing.

These need to be installed and enabled:

        OpenTransportLib
        Open Transport Library