on 23/9/02 23:56, (PowerBooks) at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Old Li-Ion batteries will often show a lower voltage
> than new ones. But, you don't specify if your new
> batteries are NiMH or Li-Ion. Usually batteries
> selling for $19 new are NiMH, but they should say on
> them.
>
>> Any risk in using the 3500 batteries? Are those
>> voltage ratings okay?
>
> No risk, they are OK.
>
> Greg

The batteries I got from Powermax are the Li-Ion ones for both the 3400 and
3500, though they say "Macintosh Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery for
Macintosh Powerbook G3", model number M4399.

Also of note is that the above batteries do not charge in my VST SCH3400
external battery charger, while the original 3400 batteries do charge fine.
The charger is listed as compatible with both types of batteries.

VST Smartdisk customer/tech service was helpful as ever: i.e., after a
series of emails, in which they confirmed that both batteries should work in
the charger, and that all the batteries charged okay in the 3400, they said
maybe my charger was defective and they might have to issue me an RMA to
send it for repairs or exchange. Then I never heard from them again...

Similar story re. an AC adapter I recently bought from them for my external
portable Firewire CDRW: they sent me a "Phihong" brand adapter (along with 2
Smartdisk adapters), and the first time I went to plug it into my CDRW,
sparks flew out from the AC jack when the adapter pin made contact; I got a
small electrical shock too.
Well, I fired off an email to Smartdisk - specifically to the customer
service person who had dealt with my original order (the online order showed
free shipping to Canada, but despite the fact that they'd accepted my order
and payment, they refused to honor it) - and she got back to me right away,
apologizing and saying tech support would contact me ASAP. A week later,
nothing. I guess sparks flying out of their products and giving customers
electrical shocks isn't an urgent issue...

I do like their products though. Shame about the people...

Chris H