> i've plugged all that to my little PB but he refuses to boot : he just
>  displays the floppy disk picture. I've tried with and without a terminator
>  on the SCSI box : it's just the same.
>  I'm pretty sure that the SCSI box is working : when a try with a CDROM
>  player, i can boot and see the player in the apple system info (altought it
>  doesn't mount any CD but that's another problem).
>
>  does anybody knoes what's happening ? i would be very grateful if you could
>  lead me to at least a beginning of solution.

I can explain...

Powerbooks (most anyway) have a mode they can be put into where they
essentially become external HD's, and can be used as such by other computers
(advantageous w/ pre-PC powerbooks since U can then download using a faster
processor on the other machine). Anyway, this mode is called SCSI Disk Mode.
When U turn on the powerbook and the little Disk Icon moves across the
screen, U are in this mode.

Now to go into this mode U need a special HDi30/DB25 cable/adapter in order
to tell the Powerbook it needs to be in this mode. Evidently, you have such a
cable.

IF your HDi30/DB25 cable has a little switch on it, which means it can be
used to either make the powerbook an external HD (SCSI Disk Mode) or to use
external items connected to the Powerbook, which is what U want to do
("ON"=SCSI ID MODE ; "OFF"=using SCSI external items w/ your powerbook).

BUT IF your HDi30/DB25 cable has no switch on it at all, then it is a cable
dedicated to using the powebook is SCSI Disk Mode.

A tell-tale sign is to count the pins inside the part that connects to the
back of the powerbook:

30-PINS, no switch = a cable/adapter dedicated to SCSI Disk Mode ;
29 Pins = a cable/adapter dedicated to suing external SCSI devices w/ a
powerbook ;
30-Pins w/ an on-off switch = a cable/adapter that can be either.

If your HDi30/DB25 cable has 30 pins and no switch on the side of it, then I
am afraid U need to go and buy an additional cable/adapter w/ either 29 pins,
OR 30 pins and a on/off swtich.

Craig W.