--- "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >As for the pinout question... the center two pins
> in
> >the RJ-45 jack in the back of the 3400 are the two
> >phone line wires for the modem.
> >
> >Looking into the jack on the back of the 3400 with
> pin
> >one being the left most pin:
> >
> >1--NC
> >2--NC
> >3---------------one of a twisted pair A
> >4--phone wire (twisted pair in dongle)
> >5--phone wire (twisted pair in dongle)
> >6---------------one of a twisted pair A
> >7---------------one of twisted pair B
> >8---------------one of twisted pair B
> >
> This is the standard connection for UTP, but you
> have the numbers reversed.
> 1 and 2 is Ethernet Transmit
> 3 and 6 is Ethernet Receive
> 4 and 5 are Phone
> 7 and 8 are not used.
>
> Noel

Perhaps I am not calling the correct pin pin 1 but, as
I stated above, when looking into the jack with the
powerbook sitting on the table turned around backwards
and the little notch on the RJ-45 at the top or
course, then if you call the leftmost pin number 1,
then pins 1 and 2 are NC. I have this in front of my
face as I type this. I am also looking at the clear
dongle plug.

Incidentally, last nite I decided to utilize the 14
foot CAT5 cable as the power cable also. I used the
two NC wires to carry the 22 volt (measured) power to
the Powerbook. Then I connected two small wires from
the appropriate powerjack terminals to the appropriate
RJ-45 jack terminals.

Now my Powerbook is always connected to phone line,
printer and power supply with one 14 foot cable for
full-length couch/desk mobility. The CAT5 cable
obtained at Radio Shack is quite soft and flexible
compared to some I have seen.

Greg