> Apple extended the normal 1year warranty to a 7 year warranty to
boost
> confidence in the mothership.

Right enough about the Li-Ion battery issue.  IIRC, the batteries were
made by Sony, so we should all be blaming them, eh?

Also IIRC, Apple didn't create the 5300 REA program and 7 year
warranty out of the kindness of their own hearts, nor for good PR.

Apple was sued in a class action and was forced by the state of
California to provide support on the product for 7 years.

This is not the only such occurance - the 5xxx/6xxx series also had
problems and are subject to a recall to get those issues fixed.  I'm
not sure, but I'd bet that obligation has since expired as well.

There are a handful of other cases of Apple being forced to provide
support, repairs, or replacements due to legal action taken by the end
user community.

Do not mistake the PowerBook 5300/190 series' 7 year extended warranty
as an example of the mothership being good to its customers.

Please, correct me if I am incorrect.

Peace,
Drew

--
Having graduated (with a physics BS :-P), I will be using the email
address <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Please update your address book.