My Reply follows quotes. On 17/10/2002 12:13
[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron)
>I'm rather experienced with desktop Macs but have little experience with
>powerbooks.

Ditto.

>My friend's G3/266/14.1" TFT (I hope that sufficiently identifies the
>model!) PB recently stopped working. Whether with the battery in, the
>adapter connected, or both, it doesn't go on. The only sign of life is the
>green light that goes on for a second when I hold down Fn-Control-Shift
>and press the power button.

I have my daughter's Wallstreet 233/14.1 with the same symptoms. First
step according to the service manual is to reset the power management
circuit. Do this by (check the little diagram on the back of the
computer, under the flip door) holding the Shift-FN-Cntrl keys and then
pressing the power key. Hold til you hear the fan start, and release.
Should see the green LED beneath the screen light briefly as you release
all the keys. Wait 5 seconds and then try the power key. If no start,
repeat "several" times. If no luck, time to start replacing components.
(Assuming, of course, a good battery and power supply.)

>I tested the voltage between the outer metal cylinder against the tip of
>the center post. (Since I don't know whether the power adapter is supposed
>to supply its 24 volts as DC or AC, I tried both!) Nothing!
>
>Does this mean the adapter is dead, or should the voltage drop be between
>two different parts of the center post, like with stereo plugs?

I think you need to check the power (voltage is all that is really
testable) on the "inner prong" of the connector. If you look closely,
there are several rings on the inner prong, rather like a stereo plug. I
think the outer metal cylinder is a shield and not part of the electrical
circuit.

>If it is dead, what are the alternatives to Apple's $75 replacement? Are
>there non-Apple replacements? I could probably put something together
>using the plug from the dead one. Is the output AC or DC? If DC, what is
>the polarity?

You could go for one of the Yo-Yo power supplies on eBay. May be able to
get one for <$20.

In my case, I have started down the "replace components" road, knowing
the battery is good for at least 45 minutes and the power supply is good.

The "flow chart" in the service manual shows replacing components (seems
all that Apple lets field folks do) shows the following sequence of
replacements:

1. Check the display cables.
2. Replace the power supply card.
3. Replace the PMU board.
4. Replace the sound card.

Good Luck!

Ken

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Send list messages to:  <mailto:powerbooks@;mail.maclaunch.com>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:powerbooks-digest@;mail.maclaunch.com>