Using a PC card (CF, SM, etc.) as an emergency boot disk is very cool. .
. . but using one for VM is not what I'd call a superior idea.

My experience is that these cards are invariably slower than a HD. OK,
OK, you're out of space for VM on your HD, but maybe that just means it's
time to get a larger HD. Drives are cheap and only getting cheaper. US$50
will easily buy 6GBs (at least! & prob more) and will be very much faster
for VM than any CF or SM media.

The latest laptop drives are blazingly fast, capable of transfers on the
order of 25MB/s and up. While a 5300 can't use anywhere near that speed,
it can carry perhaps 2MB/s, measured against maybe 1/4 of that for CF or
SM in the PC card slot.

Try speed testing a mounted CF or SM card, you'll see what I mean,
_dog_slow_.

just my US$0.20,

Dan K

Send list messages to:  <mailto:powerbooks@;mail.maclaunch.com>