I was able to fix the connector that had broken internally at the powerbook
end of the cord. I don't recommend this for the faint hearted. I took a
dremel tool and cut through the outer barrel and the plastic longitudinally.
You then have access to the central pin where the pos and neg can be
measured. There is a little rectangular plastic panel that you pop off to
get at the wire attachments, where I found one had become disconnected and I
resoldered it. I was surprised that with all the stress relief designs this
broke, but it did. The metal outer barrel that was removed is for mechanical
stiffening only. The center pin is standard and Radio Shack probably has it.
I actually reused the outer barrel and reattached it using a small hose
clamp. It looks really ugly but works.

I do have a question though. What is the polarity of the center pin closest
to the Mac, and how does a 12 volt car adapter charge the powerbook when the
DC voltage from the AC adapter is so much higher. Does the powerbook power
manager sense the difference and accept it?

Phil

Send list messages to:  <mailto:powerbooks@;mail.maclaunch.com>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:powerbooks-digest@;mail.maclaunch.com>