(You should start a new thread for this topic and move it to G-Books.)

Well, I'm running 9.2.2 on my Wallstreet.  My system folder is about
300MB with just about every option installed.  I have a total of 170
items in my Extensions folder...  626MB seems a bit extreme to me.
You must have some bloat installed - that's larger than the entire OS
9 CD if you dragged it and dropped it onto your hard disk!

I'd suggest that you have some 3rd party software that is installing a
ton of shared libraries into your extensions folder...

AOL, Macromedia, Adobe, and Microsoft products tend to install a host
of shared libraries.  What's great about shared libraries, though, is
that they don't have to be in the Extensions folder...  If only 1
application is using the shared library (somewhat defeating the
purpose of a _shared_ library), it can be placed in the same folder as
that application.  When the application launches, the shared library
gets loaded into memory.  It gets purged when the app quits.  (The
same should be true for shared libraries in the Extensions Folder).
So, you can remove shared libraries from the extensions folder without
too many worries, but it won't reduce the amount of memory your system
takes up.

66MB seems about right.  OS 9.1 tends to take 45-55MB on all the
machines on which I run it (G3 tower, 6100, Wallstreet) no matter how
much memory is installed (192, 72, ~320).  9.2.2 takes about 60MB on
my Wallstreet and beige G3 - I haven't even thought about running it
on my 6100....  ;-)

I, for one, would say that 9.x (9.1 or 9.2) IS the sweet-spot
operating system for true G3/G4 machines.  It's stable, has tons of
features... etc and was really written for G3/G4 based systems.  If
you have a G4, stick w/ OS 9.

A quick search in Sherlock for shared libraries on my system (Custom
search on file type "shlb") showed 576 shared libraries installed.
Over 90% of them were NOT in my System Folder or any sub directory.
Of those 90%, the HUGE majority belong to Mozilla (or Netscape 7).

Peace,
Drew
--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>