Just a quick note to say that I finally had new pram/backup batteries
installed into my 1400 by a service technician last week.  Of all the
things I've done, this has to be the smartest.  Many little inconsistent
quirks have disappeared.  I say this to encourage those who use 1400s which
haven't had the batteries replaced to consider it if you have any question
in your mind at all about whether to do it.  It's just my experience --
others may feel differently.....

Cheers,
Rick