My wife and I had ours done at the same time (both 1400s), no charge for
the installation.  I had consulted a couple of more experienced people on
the list and read the manual carefully.  I think that I could probably do
it, although a *bit* of age has made my hands a *bit* less steady.  But
given the reasonable cost for the new batteries, and very nice apple guy we
decided to go with letting him take responsibility for this job.  We have
access to a university computer shop through my wife, hence the free
installation -- sorry to those who don't.  And I expect not all
universities offer the service.  Here you need either a staff or student ID
from this University to have access to the service, which includes the
products.

Just to repeat, both these machines are running significantly more smoothly
as a result.  Perhaps the end of the story is to encourage folks to look
around locally -- I find that I can tell pretty quick if a tech person
really likes mac and the concept behind their original design, or whether
it is *just* a job.  It seems to make a difference, although I am sure
there are those who do it as a job that do top-notch work at a reasonable
price.  A part of my reason for staying with macs for the course is on
principle, so I like to know that the people I work with understand that
reason -- as I am sure many people on this list do....

Cheers,
Rick