Well I took the plunge today and decided to fit my 128mb RAM upgrade and 4mb
ex-G3 hard drive into my 3400c/180. For anybody out there wanting to do the
same but feeling a bit nervous about the procedure, it's not too bad. In
fact the only tricky moment came when replacing the palm rest assembly, but
I think that was just my fat fingers (I was surprised when I found a tiny
fan in there too under the trackpad). I got the RAM from OWC for only 69
dollars and it arrived here in England really quickly. The hard drive made
me panic when I realised the mounting holes were in a different place to the
original drive but luckily the bracket has extra holes to account for this.
I've now got a great little machine that will run Photoshop at a leisurely
pace, and will even accept the MMC card from my digital camera using the PC
card adaptor I found on ebay. It's great being able to surf in the lounge
without trudging upstairs to the G4 too.