Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:25:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Powerbook 520 ????
From: John Brownsberger
>By plug-in I mean a port to run a cable from the computer to the phone jack.
The only internet service provider I know that can service anything under
OS8.1 is AOL - are their any others?  Does anyone know if this PB 520 can
upgrade to OS8.5 or 8.6?  From what I have found, it can't!
>John Brownsberger

I have two of these, both running OS 7.6.1. Netscape 4.08 works, but is a
little slow even on the PPC machine. iCab is a free browser right now, and
Eudora Light is a free email client, both of them work.
As far as your plug question, does the PB have a modem installed? If you look
from the back of the machine, the modem port is on the right side. IIRC the
only one for that machine was a Global Village 19.2, just make sure you have
the latest drivers (v2.5.5). If you don't, email me offlist and I'll point you
to my iDisk where you can get them (anyone else, too). shameless plug here - I
have some of these modems if anyone else is interested, too. I use one of the
PBs as an outgoing fax machine. The ethernet port takes an AAUI adapter to
convert to 10-baseT, check the swap list for an inexpensive one.

--
JSH