I have successfully swapped a CD-ROM drive into an external SCSI hard drive
case just by unplugging the data and powercables and swapping drives.  I now
have an USB external CDR drive (Sony Spressa). Question: could I swap a IDE
hard drive into the housing, to then use it as an external hard drive? Any
other settings needed, drivers?

On another issue, (Disclaimer, for the brave, I am not responsible for any
damage/fires/explosions or liability whatsoever), I have resurrected laptop
and cell phone batteries by directly charging them with a/c adapters and
even a 2 amp car battery charger, by using a setting just above the rated
voltage on the batts.  This gets the batt volts high enough for the
intelligent charger circuits in the laptops or cell phones to recognize a
batt is present. It is important to monitor heat build up in the batt being
charged.  Surprisingly many batteries work fine after doing this, however
some are truly worn out, but at least this method will reveal this.

-Phil-