About two weeks ago, my PB 540c, OS 8.1, 36 MB and my wife's 520c OS 7.5.5,
24 MB, internal modems, both with installs of Open Transport 1.1, Open
Transport 1.1.2, & OT-PPP 1.0, Stopped getting viable dial-up connections
to the web. They connect alright but Eudora 3.1.3 can't find the POP
servers (no addresses displayed) and iCab 2.8.2 & 2.9 says the servers are
not available. The connections appear good and as fast as usual. We just
can't get anywhere with them. They were working fine. I can't think of any
changes I might have made to the configurations.

My G3 desktop running OS 8.6 and my Mac Plus running System 6 continue to
perform well on the web with the same ISP.

I just got my wife a 1400c, 48MB, external 56K and after doing a clean
install of OS 8.1, and the above web software, I get the same results. I'm
pretty sure I'm missing something simple here, I just can't figure out what
it is. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Why is it just PowerBooks?

Thanks,

Hardy Menagh, Hardsdisk Ltd., a branch of the Abandoned Computer Shelter.
branch near you. E-mailed from a beige Macintosh G3 and, at times, a Mac
Plus.