> > ...  I HATE Virtual Memory with a PASSION.  It thrashes the hard drive and
> > quickly fragments the thing, causing the whole system to slow up
    :
> > Honestly, I've never understood why anyone in their right mind would  run
> > VM on a PowerBook.

> I had understood that the default setting for Virtual Memory in the Memory
> Control Panel was for 1 mb above the actual ram available; thus, on my 5300
> I set the memory for 65 mb (64 real ram + 1). What would others advise
> about this, please?

I've changed the subject line to something more descriptive.

If you must run VM, yes, the setting of '1MB above' is best. It uses as
little of the hard disk as possible, and it invokes the benefits of VM such
as delayed code fragment loading, fast starts, etc.

To the original poster, when 64MB is the maximum memory ceiling on a 1400
and you have to run 9.1, then you run VM. And the 1400 is happy with it
(though the G3/333 certainly helps).

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality. -- de Gaultier ---