>  Well, I don't know what model your talking about, but I have a PowerBook 170,
>Duo 230 and a 520c and all of them use what's called a "torx 8" (my PowerBook
>1400c uses a precision Philips screwdriver, go figure). They can be at times
>hard to find but they can be found at most hardware stores if in stock. Just
>be sure to get one with at least 2 inches of neck to get in all the deep
>holes.
>
>    Jake

Indeed.  All my PowerBooks take a Torx-8 (you can get them at Sears
for about $3) screw driver (that's a Duo 230, 5300cs/ce, and
Wallstreet).  Apple seems to love these things.

 From time to time, I've run into Torx-6 sized screws in Apple
products as well.  Of course, my Wallstreet uses a Phillips-head for
"user serviceable" parts.

Your 1400c probably uses the Phillips because it's not an
Apple-original design.  The case was original designed by Taiwanese
manufacturer Quanta and retooled by Apple to include the mac specific
ports (SCSI, serial, ADB, etc) and the BookCover.  Also, Apple's
target audience for this machine was younger. "As an entry-level
product, we wanted Epic's design to attracted a more youthful
audience" says Lawrence Lam, a designer on the Epic's IDg team.
("AppleDesign" page 264).

Peace,
Drew

P.S. - I _HIGHLY_ recommend the AppleDesign book by Paul Kunkel to
anyone who enjoys Apple's industrial design and their history.  The
book is fascinating!  If you only get it to look at the pretty
pictures of prototypes, it is worthwhile.  I used to leave it on my
coffee table while in college, and the oohs and aahs of people
thumbing through it were classic!

--

Author of ClassicStumbler
email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Want to know if your neighbor has Wi-Fi?  Find out with
ClassicStumbler! <http://homepage.mac.com/alk/classicstumbler/>