At 11:15 PM 2/7/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Hmm, last I heard, there were no 16-bit PCMCIA USB cards for
>Macintosh.  They all require CardBus slots.  The 1400c does not have
>CardBus.  Thus, you cannot use USB on a 1400c.

Nope, never seen a 16-bit USB card. Probably not one, that I know of.

>Otherwise, I also seem to recall that the OS 8.1 USB extensions ONLY
>work on the iMac.  That is, I'm pretty sure that Apple's USB
>extensions for PC Cards and PCI cards (as opposed to the on-board USB
>on an iMac) require Mac OS 8.5+

Nope, I was able to get USB working on my 6500 with 8.1. You have to Tome
Viewer the 1.2 drivers and pull them out, but it works. The readme for 1.2
says it needs 8.5.1, but it does work in 8.1. For mice and keyboards and
such. Anything else is luck and ymmv.

The main problem is the lack of cardbus on a 1400.

Scott Holder