Hello Dan,

I don't have a 3400, so I can't be certain, but I doubt that the cd-drive
and the HD having the same ID will really matter much. They are the same on
my 1400, and it works just fine. (Maybe because HD is ATA, and CD ATAPI??)
Did YOU install the OS on this machine? Or did it come loaded on. I might be
that someone put an incorrect system on the computer, and as such, doesn't
like the CD and Floppy drives (doesn't explain why the Zip works...)

Try Starting up the machine using a couple of different extension sets - All
On, All Off, OS 9.1 only, etc etc to see if it might be an extension
conflict.

Maybe re-set the PRAM, don't know why it would work, but it's worth a try
(hold down command-option-p-r just after you press the 'on' button).

Have you tried starting up off a CD? I realise the CD is the thing that
doesn't work, but perhaps if you plug a bootable disk in and hold 'c' down,
it will work. If so, you will probably need to re-install the system.
(I'm not sure if the 3400 needs 'c' held down during startup, or
command-option-shift-delete. If one doesn't work, try the other :-)

How do you know the SCSI works? If the machine refuses to ever know about
the CD rom drive, you can maybe plug it into another mac, and re-install the
system that way (seeing as CD/Floppy don't work).

The fact that you can open the CD drive is (I think) a good sign - at least
it has power :-)

--
John