>Just as a BTW, I've a copy of SpeedDoubler 2 that I'm running on a IIci,
>with 7.5.5. It's only 156K--I could send it attached, or upload it to
>my website as a self-extracting archive. I really can't see that it's
>faster than the other IIci running next to it without SD.

Well, that makes sense.  Speed Doubler doesn't do much for 68k macs
(ok, it does make an attempt at multithreading - like emptying the
trash can in the background, copying files in the background, etc.  I
guess it also has that "smart copy" feature...).  It's biggest
benefit is for low end PowerPC Macs.  Speed Doubler has a more
efficient 68040 emulation routine than earlier PowerPCs/System 7/OS
8.1.  System 7 and OS 8.0/1, I believe, emulate a 68020 (for
compatibility) on PowerPC.  And they do it inefficiently.  Installing
Speed Doubler on something like a 61xx, 71x0, 81x0, 62xx, 6300,
LC52xx, LC53xx, 5300, 1400, or 2300 should increase the speed of 68k
apps when running System 7.x or OS 8 prior to 8.5.  Some say that the
difference is dramatic.

I can't see any reason why you need to run Speed Doubler on a IIci.
Unless, of course, you like painstakingly slow file copies.

OS 8.5 has an updated 68k emulator that implements a 68LC040 (IIRC)
and is far faster than it's predecessors.  On macs with this OS, the
benefit of Speed Doubler is essentially nil.

In any case, your OS choice is as subjective as your choice of
favorite color.  It's no surprise that system 7.6.1 is faster than OS
8.5.  I choose 8.6 because I can live with the relatively slower boot
times, app launch times, and certain finder operations.  OTOH, I find
myself MUCH more happy with a multithreaded operating system, pretty
icons, menu clicks that you don't have to hold down, pop-up windows,
spring loaded folders, Apple-Delete trashing of files, and the
ability to run modern applications.  OTOOH, I don't go to OS 9
because I'm happy with the 8.6 feature set and don't want the added
speed hit that OS 9 would bring.  So, picking an OS is like picking a
toothbrush ;-)  Get the one that does the job and feels best.
Whether it's a new-fangled "sonic" toothbrush or one made of wood, it
still cleans your teeth.  Or something.  I'm tired... ;-)

Peace,
Drew

--

Author of ClassicStumbler
email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Want to know if your neighbor has Wi-Fi?  Find out with
ClassicStumbler! <http://homepage.mac.com/alk/classicstumbler/>