Jason White wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just installed a 32M RAM module into my 5300cs (had a 16M module
> before) and wanted to do some more stuff to it.
>
> I currently have OS 7.6.1 on it. I have OS 8 (and the 8.1 updater), but
> was wondering if it would be wise to update. The machine currently has
> 48M in it, with the stock 770M HD. Pretty much all I use it for is Office
> 98, and a few games.
>
> Also, I have Speed Doubler 1.32 (?) on it now. If I upgraded to 8, would
> this program still work, or would I have to find a newer version? It made
> a noticeable difference with 7.6.1.

I don't know about speed doubler, but 8.1 will be a bit slower, but,
imo, much more reliable and usable than 7.6.1, given that this is a PPC
system.

I have 8.6 running on one right now, and it's quite usable; I'd had 9.1
on it and it was horribly slow, but that could well have been because
the HD was flaky...when I tried to re-format it, it wouldn't, and when I
looked at it in Drive setup it had three partitions where there had only
been one before....

Replaced the drive and it's much better. before it would take 45 seconds
to a minute to start up programs. Much faster now.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona