Hello Victoria,

I have had similar problems with an Ositech Jack of Diamonds TrumpCard (10
base-t and 28K modem combo). I don't get any errors, but the Ethernet port
simply doesn't 'see' anything. Ie, in the chooser, clicking on AppleTalk
reveals no servers.

Anyway, purely by coincidence, I found out that the 'book doesn't like to
have the card plugged into it when alternate Ethernet is already selected in
AppleTalk & TCP/IP.
So, the solution for me was to create 2 locations in location manager (a
useful tool, even without this problem :) I created 'stand alone' and
'Networked' locations. The stand alone has AppleTalk and TCP/IP connecting
via printer/PPP ports respectively, and both also inactive in the 'options'
button. The Networked location is simply the way everything needs to be when
actually connected (for me, connect via alternate Ethernet and DHCP server
in TCP/IP and AppleTalk)

Anyway, the card doesn't work when I restart the computer with it plugged
in, so in these cases, I switch to 'stand alone', unplug the card (it won't
unplug unless you switch location - it's still in use) then plug the card
straight back in, and switch to networked. Voila! it works again.

I have no idea if any of this is of use to you, if not, I think it was a
nice (albeit pointless) story. :-)

--
John