Greetings, Powerbooks users:

Gentle help, please, since this is my first PB. I bought a PB170 from
a Swaplister in January, and it was an absolute gem in its first two
months of use. Software-wise, it's fine. I'm sure the OS (7.0.1*) and
all related stuff is a moot point.

Problem: just after two months' use, the BTI MC-170 battery (which
would hold a charge of about two hours: I never discharged it fully;
that could be a hint as to what I'm doing) stopped charging. I took
for granted that the battery was simply dying and bought two used
ones from someone else on the Swaplist. Neither would charge. So... I
bought a new BTI MC-170 and charged it with the PB170's supplied
power adapter (Model M5140) for ten hours and am now charging the
battery with a M5652 adapter.

Where I am right now: I can boot the PB170 with the original BTI
MC-170 battery that worked and charged with the PB; however, I can't
get the other three batteries to charge or boot the PB. Another hint
is this: I've tried to re-set the Power Manager with no luck (battery
out; power adapter out; putting paper clips on both switches).

I suspect a mobo problem, although the PB apparently has a strong
PRAM battery, as it's kept its settings. What's confusing me is that
I can't re-set the Power Manager, and I have the feeling that's where
I need to start to charge batteries. If I need to break into the PB
(I'm wary of doing it, even though I've broken into every Mac I've
owned), I would be grateful for any contacts with a "take-apart" PDF
URL.

Any immediate ideas? I'd begrudgingly used a Tandy 100 since 1992,
and until I can get my PB170 to work "mobile" again, the Tandy's back
in use. TIA, and peace...

--
Cheers! Olin Jenkins, [EMAIL PROTECTED], Jenkins Typography
1303 Sunset Drive, Columbia, SC  29203 ... phone/fax: 803-256-2245